"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

05 November 2017

Remember.

'Tis Guy Fawkes Night ...


Remember, remember!
   The fifth of November,
   The Gunpowder treason and plot;
   I know of no reason
   Why the Gunpowder treason
   Should ever be forgot!
   Guy Fawkes and his companions
   Did the scheme contrive,
   To blow the King and Parliament
   All up alive.
   Threescore barrels, laid below,
   To prove old England's overthrow.
   But, by God's providence, him they catch,
   With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
   A stick and a stake
   For King James's sake!
   If you won't give me one,
   I'll take two,
   The better for me,
   And the worse for you.
   A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
   A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
   A pint of beer to wash it down,
   And a jolly good fire to burn him.
   Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
   Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
   Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!

Anonymous

BBC's The Gunpowder Plot ...

No comments: